Registering your address

All Students

It is mandatory that all foreign students residing in Germany for more than three months should register their addresses in the local Residents Registration Office, known as the Bürgerburo.
This also applies for German students who are residing away from home as well as EU students. 

It is advisable to do so as soon as possible after you arrive or within the first month of arrival because a lot of other services rely on this.


  1. You will need your official I.D./valid passport
  2. A filled and signed certificate by your landlord/host called a Wohnungsgeberbestätigung that proves you actually reside there.

You can find all the documents you need as well as other important details on this website(for Munich/Bavaria). There, you can also book an appointment.

It is advisable to book an appointment well in advance as soon as you can as waiting times are quite long, however, it is not mandatory to have an appointment to visit the offices.

No need to worry in the event that you do not have an appointment. You might however need to get up early in the morning and be there when they open. Once you you arrive, you will have to queue and wait to get assisted so make sure you have enough time. Usually slot tickets will be issued.

Once you complete the registration, you will be issued with a registration certificate called an Anmeldebestätigung. You may be asked for this document in other institutions so keep it safely and if possible make a scan/copy of it.

Find the closest Residents Office (Bürgerbüro )
to you in Munich below